If you’re like most homeowners, at some point the idea of renovation will cross your mind. Needs change, styles and trends evolve, and age takes its toll on even the most solidly built structures. Kitchen remodels are the most popular home improvement project — not only in Wisconsin, but across the U.S. Because the kitchen serves as a gathering place, especially when we’re entertaining, we want it to look great. One of the best ways to accomplish this is by updating the countertops.
Kitchen countertops are more than simply work surfaces where you prepare meals. They tie in the whole kitchen aesthetic, complementing your cabinets, appliances, wall colors, backsplash, and flooring. And while looks are important, countertops must also be functional and durable. Quartz is the perfect solution.
You might be surprised to learn that quartz countertops aren’t made of 100% quartz. They’re about 90% quartz, with the other 10% comprising a polymer or cement-based binder. They have overtaken granite as top-selling kitchen countertop in Waukesha and the rest of the country.
If you’re considering new quartz countertops in Waukesha, you’re not alone. While there are many different options available, including granite, marble, and porcelain, quartz countertops currently rank as the most popular.
There are many reasons why quartz countertops are a great choice for Waukesha homeowners. Benefits include:
Quartz is nonporous. Granite countertops enjoyed immense popularity for years, but they have a downside: they are porous, meaning liquids could seep through the surface, causing stains — and potentially harboring bacteria and viruses. Quartz, by contrast, doesn’t have any holes or cracks for moisture to soak through. It is much less likely to stain and is a more sanitary choice than granite.
Quartz is durable. Quartz is manufactured from slabs of stone, making it very tough and forgiving; its surface is resistant to acid, heat, and impact. It’s every bit as strong as granite or concrete but won’t chip, crack, or scratch as easily.
Quartz is low-maintenance. Natural stone countertops like granite and concrete require a sealant or wax coating that must be reapplied regularly. Quartz, on the other hand, needs no sealant. The nonporous surface makes cleaning a lot easier; simply wipe it down — no scrubbing is necessary.
Quartz is available in a variety of styles. Because quartz is a man-made material, it can be engineered in a wide range of styles. You can choose a color or pattern that matches your existing decor, and a finish that suits your preferences — whether honed (matte) or polished (shiny). Plus, quartz is free from the color and texture variations prevalent in natural stone finishes, providing a uniform look and feel for consistency.
Quartz will last a very long time. Kitchen remodels can be costly; they’re something the average Waukesha homeowner won’t want to do more than once. Quartz is an excellent long-term investment; once installed, your quartz countertop’s ruggedness and ease of maintenance make it unlikely to need replacing as long as you’re in your house — and it holds its value well, making it a great investment that will appeal to new buyers when it comes time to sell.
Marling HomeWorks is more than just a lumber company. If you’re interested in new quartz countertops in Waukesha, use our free kitchen remodel calculator to help you figure out the costs. Once you’re ready, we’ll do the rest!